The COVID-19 pandemic is accelerating the digitalization of Brazilian consumers

A survey by Instituto Locomotiva shows that more Brazilians are using apps for shopping, trying new brands and consuming in a more sustainable way

Miniature figurine wear mask business shopper pushes shopping cart on paper index with stethoscope medical.Concept internet online ecommerce mortar stores,wearing mask protective Coronavirus 2019
Photo: Shutterstock
  • In Brazil, there was a more expressive growth on internet purchases of people over 50 and low-income classes;
  • This digitalization trend is observed through purchases via applications, which grew 30% in March, the first month of social isolation in the country.

A survey carried out by the Locomotiva Institute about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on consumer behavior points to an increasing trend of digitalization, purchases through apps, and the use of such resources as a means to research and compare prices of products and services.

In Brazil, there is an expressive growth in internet purchases by people over 50 and low-income classes. For the survey, Locomotiva interviewed 1,131 Brazilians in 72 cities, between April 14th and 15th. This digitalization trend is observed through purchases via applications, which grew 30% in March, the first month of social isolation in the country.

READ ALSO: Supply Chain Revolution in Times of COVID-19, in 10 facts

Regarding the impact of confinement on online shopping habits, among those who have children at home, 27% started to order products for children online and 13% are now ordering this type of product more than they used to.

Among those who have pets at home, 21% started to order pet food through delivery and 11% started to order it more than already used to. As for e-commerce of medicines, 15% didn’t use to buy them online, but now they do and 17% experienced the same thing about hygiene items.

Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, 16% of the respondents said they started to buy cleaning supplies online, and 10% of those who aren’t used to buy ready meals and snacks started to order them through delivery services. Also, 15% of them started to order food to prepare meals at home.

READ ALSO: Mexican grocery chain Chedraui adapts plans to grow online

About the lessons learned in the time of social isolation, 98% said that they started to compare product prices and 82% have tried new brands. Also, 70% of the respondents said that they have learned to save time when buying, and 71% started to better share household chores.

Source: Locomotiva.

More than half plan to do more price research when shopping after quarantine and 45% want to buy fewer products than they used to buy before the pandemic. On the other hand, 55% of Brazilians said that they will return to buy the products they used to buy before the crisis.

Also according to the survey, 53% said they intend to buy less at department stores, and 39% plan to buy more food to prepare meals at home. AData points to 32% of Brazilians saying that they will decrease purchases in physical stores and 49% will increase app purchases after quarantine.

Source: Locomotiva.

According to the survey, 55% say they intend to maintain the habit of researching more prices after the crisis and 45% want to continue spending less than before.

In this scenario, Renato Meirelles, president of Locomotiva, observes that digitalization was already an ongoing movement, but it would take much longer to occur, were it not for the contingencies of the pandemic.

Even the small entrepreneur has also come to understand that digital media is essential and has started to register his business in an application to meet digital consumption

Renato Meirelles, president of locomotiva.

According to Locomotiva, for more than half the respondents (51%) the coronavirus crisis is still at the beginning, while for 44% it’s in the middle. Only 1% thinks the pandemic is already at its end.

Source: Locomotiva.
Get the best insights about Latin America market in your inbox