- “We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great,” said Zuckerberg said. He said the block would also apply to Facebook-owned Instagram;
- Twitter and Snap also temporarily locked Trump’s accounts on Wednesday. Twitter said its freeze of @realDonaldTrump, which has more than 88 million followers, would last until 12 hours after Trump removes three tweets.
On Thursday afternoon, Mark Zuckerberg, co-founder, and CEO of Facebook, said that US President Donald Trump will remain blocked from the company’s main app until the next weeks of his Presidency.
In a post on Facebook, Zuckerberg said that “the shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate” that Trump, which has 35 million followers, intends to use his remaining time in office “to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden.”
Tech giants are scrambling to crack down on his baseless claims about the U.S. presidential election after hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol.
“We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great,” said Zuckerberg said. He said the block would also apply to Facebook-owned Instagram.
Twitter and Snap also temporarily locked Trump’s accounts on Wednesday. Twitter said its freeze of @realDonaldTrump, which has more than 88 million followers, would last until 12 hours after Trump removes three tweets.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
E-commerce platform Shopify also said on Thursday it was shutting down service for stores affiliated with Trump for violations of its “acceptable use” policy, prompting e-commerce sites for both the campaign and the Trump Organization to go offline.
The pressure on social media companies in times of misinformation
Social media companies have been under pressure to police misinformation about the U.S. election on their platforms, including from the president. Trump and his allies for months have amplified baseless claims of election fraud and the president told protesters to go to Capitol Hill, with both Republicans and Democrats saying he was responsible for the resulting violence.
In a video posted to Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube on Wednesday, which was later deleted by the platforms, Trump repeated election fraud claims as he told protesters to go home.
Civil rights groups including Color of Change have called for social media companies to permanently ban Trump from the platforms, where he has repeatedly violated policies.
The Anti-Defamation League praised Facebook’s move, calling it “an obvious first step,” while the NAACP in a statement said the move was a “long overdue” gesture that “rings hollow.”
Facebook has previously been blasted by lawmakers and employees for not acting on inflammatory posts from Trump, including those that have been labeled by Twitter.
Democratic Senator Mark Warner, incoming chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said he was glad social media was cracking down on Trump’s false claims but the actions did not go far enough.
“These platforms have served as core organizing infrastructure for violent, far right groups and militia movements for several years now – helping them to recruit, organize, coordinate and in many cases (particularly with respect to YouTube) generate profits from their violent, extremist content,” he said in a statement.
YouTube said Thursday any channel that posts videos with false claims about the election results will be temporarily restricted from uploading or live streaming. YouTube did not respond to a question about whether it would ban Trump’s account in the same manner as Facebook.